Air Force Dads

our son just joined the airforce and is in basic training right now. i know i can send letters and maybe photos but can we send care packages and if so what is aloud in the packages thankyou for any help you can give us margaret guerin proud parent

Views: 176

Replies to This Discussion

Thankyou so much david, his dad i and sister miss him so much, but are so proud of him. my husband was also in the american airforce, i am british and we met while he was stationed in england.our son was born in england and daughter was born over here.it sure helps to talk to other families going through this to im so proud of our son and all the other military fighting for our country. i think its going to be even harder at thanksgiving and christmas not having him here, but we look forward to his letters and the phone calls thankyou again for replying to me so quickly

David Proulx said:
Welcome to the Air Force family Margaret. At this point the only thing you want to send your son are just letters, and lots of them. Telling him how proud of him you are and what a great thing he is doing for you, his family and country. Make sure that you send these notes in plain white envelopes, with no writing on the outside of the envelopes. You don't want do anything that will make his mail "stand out" from other mail, it will make his mail-call painless.
You don't want to send any care packages at this time. Once he is in Tech School you can send him all the care packages you want - and he'll love them!!
Im so sorry you wont get to see your daughter for christmas, i spoke to a young man while i was at work yesterday whos brother has been in the airforce for a year now, he said if they do everything they are supposed to while in basic training some of the instructors let them call about once a week and then on holidays (christmas) he said they get to talk for around an hour. so i will look forward to the phone calls and letters.it ia hard having him so far away but i am so very proud of him, the years fly by when we have children and i agree with you its hard not having them around.thankyou so much for replying to me it makes me feel so much better knowing more information and knowing theres other parents out there going through the same emotions i am. thankyou so much david hope you get to see your daughter soon
Im so happy that your daughter will be home for thanksgiving thats just a few weeks away, cherish every moment shes home and take lots of pictures. im hoping i will hear from my soon soon but until that time we will write to him and let him know whats happening home. his friends are writing to him to so that will help him im hoping.Thankyou again for all your help and i hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving with your daughter

David Proulx said:
Well I found out that she will be home for Thanksgiving! I'm very happy because that is my favorite holiday.

Depending on your sons TI (Training Instructor) he might be able to call once a week. But usually it's for a very short amount of time. If he doesn't call during Basic it's not his fault - it really depends on the performance of his unit and how the TI does his business. Every TI does things a little different.
Nothing, you can send nothing. Make the letters as wonderful as possible, maybe a few pictures, I made mine paper copies so he could throw them away. Also don't do any special embellishments to the letters. He's having a great time I'm sure, according to my son that got out last year. I sent my son a letter a day, but they don't get them every day. Congratulations for your son!!!
thankyou sharon i am writing letters and i made him a couple of cards i figured that way he could read them then throw them away. thankyou for your reply

Sharon Higginbotham said:
Nothing, you can send nothing. Make the letters as wonderful as possible, maybe a few pictures, I made mine paper copies so he could throw them away. Also don't do any special embellishments to the letters. He's having a great time I'm sure, according to my son that got out last year. I sent my son a letter a day, but they don't get them every day. Congratulations for your son!!!
David and Sharon are correct, The only thing you can send are letters. Do not send postcards or packages while they are in Basic. Postcards can be read by anybody and the carepackages will not make it to your Airman. One of our friends sent my son a postcard when he was in Basic and he got a talking to about it. It was not his fault but still he got the talking to.

Letters are your Airmans life line to the outside world. And yes be very positive and encouraging. don't burdon them with family troubles just tell them how proud you are them and that you look forward to going and watching them graduate from Basic. And write a leeter everyday the mail runs. You will only get a few letters, maybe one a week but keep writing. Your Airman neds to have at least one letter every mail call.
Thankyou sgt Terry for your reply im so greatful for all the support and replies i get in here, i have only sent him letters and cards i so far all in envolopes, can i send him photo;s? he has some friends that are writing to him and want to send him photos to im hoping thats ok to do. its so hard the not knowing and the missing him. i think of him all day everyday and wonder if hes ok.he has made us so very proud of him but it doesnt stop the missing him. do you know when he will get leave? i long to see him. im waiting for the phone call so i can hear his voice thankyou again maggie

Sgt Terry (Network Creator) said:
David and Sharon are correct, The only thing you can send are letters. Do not send postcards or packages while they are in Basic. Postcards can be read by anybody and the carepackages will not make it to your Airman. One of our friends sent my son a postcard when he was in Basic and he got a talking to about it. It was not his fault but still he got the talking to.

Letters are your Airmans life line to the outside world. And yes be very positive and encouraging. don't burdon them with family troubles just tell them how proud you are them and that you look forward to going and watching them graduate from Basic. And write a leeter everyday the mail runs. You will only get a few letters, maybe one a week but keep writing. Your Airman neds to have at least one letter every mail call.
Maggie,
Photos are okay but I would not go to far overboard with them. A few photos can really help. It is hard once they are gone but remember how proud you are of him and think about what positive things you can tell him in the next letter. The first phone call can be the hardest one. They tend to get easier. When I was in we got one in the beginning and that was it, I am glad they get more calls. He will get leave after Tech school, most likely. But I hope you are planning to go watch him graduate from Basic. That is an awesome event. If at all possible you need to go as much for you as it will be for him.
Sgt Terry
Thankyou again sgt Terry
i wish with all my heart that i could go to his graduation but my husband is going as we also have a daughter who is 11 and will be in school when sam her brother graduates so my hubby is going and will take pictures for me. it will kill me not to go but i we all cant go one because of daughter being in school, two we just dont have the money to do it.i am so proud of my son, and cant wait for his next call. he did call me at work today as the instructor needed some information of my husband which i didnt have on me so i told him i would get it from my husband who is working away at the moment which is also hard to have our son and husband away,and to try and call me tonight so i can give it to him. he didnt call but im sure he will soon. i write to him a lot telling him how very proud i am of him and how things are going here and wait for his letters to come. i havent got a letter yet but im sure i will soon he only left november 2nd so its still early days again thankyou for your reply

Maggie,
Photos are okay but I would not go to far overboard with them. A few photos can really help. It is hard once they are gone but remember how proud you are of him and think about what positive things you can tell him in the next letter. The first phone call can be the hardest one. They tend to get easier. When I was in we got one in the beginning and that was it, I am glad they get more calls. He will get leave after Tech school, most likely. But I hope you are planning to go watch him graduate from Basic. That is an awesome event. If at all possible you need to go as much for you as it will be for him.
Sgt Terry
I Graduated Basic april 2009. Sending one letter a day is really important. I remember there was a couple times i didn't get one and it broke my heart. Just because you're so far from everything you know. I was there around easter time so my family sent me a package of jellybeans, easter bunnies chocolate, etc. Enough to share.

My TI allowed me five minutes to gobble down one chocolate bunny outside. The rest had to wait to get eaten when i graduated or when he gave us privlages.

Don't worry too much about him. He's in good hands. Working his butt off. Just stay proud and write him! =)
Stephanie, you are awesome, thanks for your insight. Thats why I like you young Airmen on this site so you can help this old Airman with the more up yo date info. Thanks.
Sgt Terry
Thankyou so much stephanie for letting me know a little more into what my sons going through, i have been writing lots and love this forum to come into everyone has been so supportive. i got a postcard from my son today and it just has his address on it, it was slightly different from what he said his address was when he rang me day after getting there, so im praying hes been getting my letters ok . thankyou again and thankyou sgt terry to

Stephanie, you are awesome, thanks for your insight. Thats why I like you young Airmen on this site so you can help this old Airman with the more up yo date info. Thanks.
Sgt Terry

RSS

Our Mission Statement:

Provide support, encouragement, and knowledge to Airmen and their families throughout their journey together in the United States Air Force

Badge

Loading…

Members

© 2018   Created by Sgt Terry (Network Creator).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service

AirForceDads.com is a private web community of Air Force Parents, Family Members, and Air Force supporters. It is not affiliated with the US Air Force.